And so it was that on the 7th day of the 8th month they gathered to celebrate achievements, reflect on what was learned, and share in the passing of the Board of Directors mantle to a new group of inspired leaders. There were many toasts, carved roasts and lives notes from the jazz players; some laughs, casual banter and wishes for another positive year. Indeed, a beautiful day, lovely space and an enviable waterfront situation provided a perfect environment in which to say farewell to the Chapter’s 30th Anniversary annum, and roll on into 2014-15.
As it often does among this group of actively engaged and merry marketers, an uplifting energy sprung from the evident camaraderie and from the many successes the Chapter enjoyed the past year. At the National Conference in July, the Chapter was presented with a Striving for Excellence Award for our inaugural A/E/C Rockstars Chapter Awards Program, as well as a Marketing Communication Award for Best Chapter Website. On the home front, the chapter saw the trend of increased program attendance continue and a surge in membership numbers. It also stretched out in to new formats for education programs, launched a wildly successful new paradigm for its social networking events, and hosted another blue chip fundraising golf tournament. A smile-worthy collection of victories to be sure.
The coming year provides equally exciting opportunities for SMPS San Diego. The new Board already has planning well underway for its September luncheon and October education event, which will be announced soon. It will be rolling out a comprehensive membership growth and retention plan, and is significantly enhancing its online and media presence. Social events with continue to drive networking and the bi-annual return of the “award-winning” A/E/C Rockstars Chapter Awards Program and Gala with surely drop a bold closing exclamation point on the year.
In sum, the committed professionals who will be leading the way this year are structuring the Chapter programming to provide members with the greatest opportunity to Build Connections and Create Value, for your firms and your professional career. The 2014-2015 Board of Directors are below and listed on the Leadership page.
- President: Catherine McCullough, CPSM, McCullough Landscape Architecture, Inc.
- President Elect: Bree Tsaniff, SWS Engineering, Inc.
- Immediate Past President: Kelly Michajlenko, CPSM, Harley Ellis Devereaux
- Secretary: Kevin Gennerman, Scantech Graphics
- Treasurer: Kim Anderson, KPFF Consulting Engineers
- Programs: Stephen Friar, Hensel Phelps and Christy Pavano, Christy Pavano Consulting
- Education: Beth Bateman, Bateman Communications and Erica Moss, JR Filanc Construction Company, Inc.
- Accommodations: Shannah Hays, Englekirk Structural Engineers and April Sweet, IMS
- Membership: Olga Fisher, Randall Lamb Associates, Inc. and Jamie Englehardt, Rick Engineering Company
- Professional Development: Karen Santoro, CPSM, Psomas and Nicole Apel, O’Day Consultants
- Communications: Vikki Ott, CPSM, Haley & Aldrich and Carina Theissen, CPSM, Vista Environmental Consulting
- Golf Tournament: Scott Palmer, Aquatic Design Group and Eric Sheidlinger, Reno Contracting, Inc.
- Advisory Chair/Society Liaison: Evan Ross, Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Pacific Regional Conference Liaison: Jeff Rank, Rolf Jensen & Associates, Inc.
The Board is in place, the sails are trimmed and the course is set. All that is required is the support of the crew…me and you. Here’s to finding new horizons together!
Marketing Manager, San Diego & Orange County
SMPS San Diego extends our thanks to Mike Torrey, who will be capturing event photos throughout the 2014-2015 calendar year. Please visit http://www.miketorrey.com/ to see his architectural photography.